Commodity Forest Products Trader
Reports To: Department Manager
This position supports assigned customers (members) with their purchasing needs and
maintains daily contact with members and vendors. The Trader is responsible for contributing to corporate
objectives and achievements by applying purchasing and selling skills daily.
• Responsible for complete account management for 30+ members/accounts
• Assist members in sourcing products from the vendors with the best value proposition.
• Handle all duties related to basic Trader functions including order generation, confirmations, shipment
mechanics, follow up, trace and status reports.
• Maintain current market knowledge of pricing trends, supply issues, new products and developments in
the industry and ensure members are informed when it’s the right time to buy
• While actively pursuing product and industry related knowledge, trader should proactively engage in
outbound phone work to the member/vendor community designed to increase sales/cost of goods
penetration /overall support of the co-op.
• Maintain viable relationships with select LBM Advantage vendors/members to attract stronger
programs, sales volumes, and offerings.
• Handle all Trader/Vendor/Member issues, including conflicts, claims, late shipments etc. Resolve
billing issues and make independent decisions during the resolution with the parties involved.
• Provide input for newsletter and website (market conditions and offerings).
• Proactively promote LBM Advantage’s suppliers to the membership.
• Continually strive to upgrade / increase one’s knowledge base pertaining to our products, business and
• Improve profitability, product penetration and product mix with all customers.
• Qualify sales opportunities through market / customer research and teaming with outside sales
• Develop sales solutions and competitive pricing strategies. Communicates value proposition to
customers. Propose sales solutions to customers and reevaluates solutions where necessary.
• Close sales opportunities by gaining purchase orders and executing all order fulfillment procedures.
• Provide outstanding customer service and post sales satisfaction, facilitating long-term relationships for
• Responsible for identifying, developing and closing new sales opportunities with new and existing
customers. Maximize sales efforts by focusing sales time on largest most profitable opportunities (may
include segmenting account list and creating customer / product sales plans).
• Travel to shows, members, and vendors as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Time Management
• Organizational Skills
• Communication Proficiency
• Collaboration Skills
• Customer/Client Focus
• Computer Proficiency
• The Trader role has no supervisory responsibilities
• This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office
equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, and filing cabinets.
• This is a largely sedentary role. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk or hear.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
• This is a full time position. Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 40 hours per
• Travel is primarily local on a regular basis, although some out of the area and overnight travel may be
Required Education and Experience:
• High school diploma
• At least 3 years of experience in a sales position
Preferred Education and Experience:
• College degree strongly preferred
• Building Materials or Construction industry experience
• Experience with quoting, purchasing, estimating, and telemarketing
Please fill out the Application:
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at